A new ebook platform available from the Connecticut State Library.
- iPad, iPad 2, iPad Air, iPad mini iOS 8+
- iPhone, 4,5,6 iOS 8+
- iPod Touch iOS 8+
- Recommended: Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK level 21
- Minimum: Android 4.4 KitKat SDK Level 19
- Devices Tested: Google Nexus 7, Galaxy Note
The devices listed below will not work with the Palace app.
- Android 4.3, Android 4.2, Android 4.1, Android 4.0.3 – 4.0.4, Android 2.3.3 – 2.3.7, Android 2.2
- Nook HD/HD+, Nook Tablet, Nook Color
Quick Start Guide
Installing the App & Logging In
Search the Google Play or Apple App Store for “SimplyE.” To begin using the app, open it and log in with your full library card number (and PIN if required).
Searching & Browsing
To browse titles: Tap Catalog at the bottom of the screen, which will display titles in various categories. Swipe from left to right to view the popular and available books in each category (tap the category titles or More… to view all books in a category). To search for a specific author or title: Tap the search icon in the upper right corner and enter the author or book name. Tap the cover of any book to read its description, or download or reserve it.
Sorting & Filtering Results
When viewing all books in a category, you can sort by Author, Availability, or Collection. You can also sort books in the My Books and Reservations tabs.
Once a book is downloaded, tap the Read button. Turn pages by tapping on the right or left edges of the screen. Tap the center of the screen to open the navigation bar. The table of contents can be found in the upper right corner. To exit the title, tap the back arrow (<) in the upper left corner. Tap Aa to access controls for adjusting text style and size, brightness, and contrast.
Accessing New Holds & Borrowed E-Books
In the Reservations and My Books screens, tap the refresh icon in the upper left corner to check for available holds and books you may have checked out from another source. E-books downloaded with another app might not available to view in SimplyE.
All borrowed digital titles are automatically returned at the end of their lending periods, so you never have to worry about late fees (exceptions include titles in the public domain, which can stay on your SimplyE bookshelf indefinitely). To return a title early: Go to My Books, tap the title and tap Return.
Contact your local library for additional assistance.
How to Log In with Your Library Card
Apple iOS Devices
- Tap the Settings tab at the bottom right of the screen
- Tap Accounts
- Select your library
- Tap and enter your barcode number or your username
- Tap the PIN field and enter your PIN
- Tap Catalog tab at the bottom left of the screen to start browsing and searching for e-books
- Tap Menu on the Upper Left of the screen
- Tap Manage Accounts
- Tap Accounts
- Tap the relevant library you wish to log into
- Tap Log In
- Enter your library card number and pin
- Tap Log In
- Tap Accounts in the top left corner until you see Settings then tap Catalog to start browsing for e-books
If you encounter problems logging in with your library card number, please tap Report An Issue under your respective library’s account screen.