The Farmington Village Green and Library Association (FVGLA) enhances the quality of life of Farmington residents and preserves the cultural history of our town. FVGLA owns and manages the Farmington Libraries, Stanley-Whitman House, the Village Green, and Memento Mori Cemetery.
Since 1901, FVGLA has quietly and effectively ensured the existence of these Farmington landmarks which the community uses and enjoys today. Sarah Porter, founder of Miss Porter’s school, created a tax-exempt charitable organization to establish a Village Green at the corner of Routes 10 and 4. One of the trustees of the then Farmington Village Green Association was D. Newton Barney, whose interest in building and funding a library led to the construction of the Barney Library. The Green Association mandate was enlarged to incorporate the new library in 1918, becoming the FVGLA. Memento Mori Cemetery was added when the town deeded the cemetery to FVGLA in 1928. That same year, Austin Barney, Mr. Barney’s son, gave his house on High Street to the FVGLA. Known as “The Old Whitman House”, it was later named Stanley-Whitman House.
From the beginning, FVGLA has been governed by a community-based board of trustees. The board provides leadership and actively raises funds for the continued health and wellbeing of the cultural treasures that we all know and love.
Over the past 100 years, the FVGLA has benefited from the generosity of many Farmington families, individuals, businesses, and organizations. Their contributions to the fund that Sara Porter started over a century ago produce's yearly income that allows the FVGLA to provide operating support for each of its properties. The principal remains intact to provide a stable financial base for the future. The amount spent each year is determined by a spending policy and the FVGLA Board of Trustees. Today the endowment stands at over $5 million.
Please consider partnering with the FVGLA by volunteering as a board member or through financial contributions. Please contact one of our officers or go to our website, FVGLA.org for more information. Donations may be made to FVGLA, 6 Monteith Drive, Farmington CT 06032