The Farmington Libraries is seeking a friendly, welcoming and resourceful part-time Lending Services/Outreach Services Assistant at our Main Library located at 6 Monteith Drive in Farmington. The Lending Services/Outreach Services Assistant works under the general direction of the Lending Services Manager.
Perform various circulation functions, including:
· Checking out materials to patrons on the library’s circulation system
· Responding to patron inquiries and directing them to appropriate staff
· Answering incoming phone calls and directing patrons to the appropriate staff
· Processing patron holds requests
· Interacting with patrons concerning overdue fines and bills
· Inspecting and redirecting materials being returned for cleaning, repair or withdrawal
· Looking up patron records pertaining to fines, overdue materials, bills, holds, etc.
· Preparing “claims returned” forms and looking for materials that have been misplaced
· Preparing and issuing new library cards
· Helping open/close the library
· Retrieving books and other materials from the book drop and checking them in on the library’s circulation system
Additional Job Responsibilities:
· Serving the needs of our outreach patrons, including determining their library and information needs, filling requests for materials and delivering them to temporarily or permanently homebound individuals at their residence, at assisted living facilities, nursing homes and similar residential facilities
· Sorting outgoing and incoming mail, as needed
· Assisting in preparing DeliverIT materials, including filling out routing slips, packing boxes of books and materials for interlibrary loan, and unpacking and discharging materials coming back from other libraries
· Assisting with other lending or collection management functions, as needed
· Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
· High School diploma required; Associate’s degree or some college coursework preferred
· One or more years’ worth of customer service experience in a library or similar setting
· Outreach services experience preferred
· Must have a current driver’s license and pass a required background check
· Requires basic knowledge and understanding of library functions and procedures
Hours: 19 hours/week
Weekdays, including Wednesday evenings (Main Library), Thursdays during the day (Barney Library) and every 3rd Saturday (Main Library); schedule varies depending on the number of Saturday hours.
Hourly Rate: $16.62/hour effective July 1, 2022; this is a non-benefited position.
Note: The Lending Services/Outreach Services Assistant will be reimbursed for any mileage costs incurred using their own vehicle at the standard federal rate as determined by the IRS.
The Farmington Libraries is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a resume and the names of 3 professional references to: Monique Kucia, Business Manager, The Farmington Libraries, 6 Monteith Drive, Farmington, CT 06032. Review of applications will begin July 12, 2022 and the position will remain open until filled.